Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Etiquette & Youngins

I teach at a private school in Jersey. I only do it once or twice a week, they are exhausting, and I will tell you why.

One day, I used the word "etiquette" and no one in my class knew what it meant. That about sums it up for you.



These aren't kindergartners either, mind you. They're around the sixth and seventh grade range, but are actually, in my opinion, just graduating first. Besides their extreme sexual attitudes (all they do is "MTV-like" movements in the mirror and talk about their obsessions with being fat - even though they are all of about 12 pounds combined).

Anyone who owns a cell phone should know what etiquette is. Actually, there are pre-schoolers that have them now, so I guess I need to re-evaluate my comment.

Anywho...these girls don't say please and thank you. They don't say "excuse me". They were even fortunate enough to perform at a college basketball game, and when everyone said they "did a great job!" - nothing came out. I don't get it.




My best friend's mother taught us every little thing there was to know about etiquette when we were in first grade. I even bought the Emily Post revised Etiquette Book that now touches on certain topics such as cell phone, email, gay marriage, and even texting etiquette.

I told the girls to go home and ask their parents what etiquette was. Long story short, no one came back knowing what etiquette was. This scares me.




(I found this website www.EtiquetteHell.com. Sounds fun. Check it out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment