Monday, March 30, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. The title is pretty self-explanatory, so all I have to say is that I live in Jersey now, but used to live in the city. Life is pretty different up here and shockingly enough, you experience differences in every part of the tri-state area. I thought all New Yorkers/Jersians were the same before I moved up here; oh how naive of me. However, everyone thinks that I wore boots and spurs back in Texas and get around via horse and saddle, so I can see that I'm not the only naive one in the area.

I was in the Laguardia airport one evening, waiting for my delayed plane (of course, what else would I be doing in a New York airport), and I overheard two girls talking about how they are about to visit Texas for the first time in a few months. One of the girls was very distraught because she didn't have boots and had never ridden a horse in her life, so how the hell was she going to be able to get around in Austin? I rest my case.

I left Texas and moved to Manhattan about a year and a half ago, so I actually experienced living in the city. Never again.

Oh, the suburban life is for me. My car is here, I can drive it without worrying about crashing into a crazy taxi-ite, I can drive to the grocery store and not have to carry my groceries six blocks back to my apartment, I can drive myself to work instead of walking 7 blocks and taking the subway, only to walk another 5 blocks to the office. So pretty much, I'm lazy.

I have almost figured out the differences between people in the different boroughs, cities, areas, etc. I'm on a dance team, and most of the girls consist of Long Islanders. Before meeting them, I only knew of certain stereotypes, but thought that there was just one stereotype of a New Yorker. Wow, was I wrong.

Slowly, I'm starting to be able to recognize the differences in accents, attitudes, families, etc. For example, I've found that people up here have a lot bigger families and are alot closer with extended family members than anyone I know from down south. People live with their parents alot longer (probably because of the extreme cost of living by themselves as apposed to staying at the rents'). Dude, at the first sign of being able to afford an apartment, us Texans are out of there. I guess after I went off to college, I experienced life living without parents for 4 years, so it was extremely difficult to go back to the same type of life I had in high school (the only exceptions being curfew and, yes, they tried to give me one when I first moved home from college. That lasted about 2 weeks.)

So, with all of that said, I plan on taking ya'll on a little journey through my brain, someone who was born and raised in Texas and is all-of-a-sudden thrown into the heart of the north. Everyday I see and experience things that would make my friends and family back home take a second look, and then of course finish with a little "bless their heart" (or at least turn to the person next to them,give an extreme opinion, followed by a "bless their heart").

1 comment:

  1. Hey Natalie! I visited NYC two weeks ago and am itching to live there! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete