Monday, March 30, 2009

Northern Vocab, etc.

Here are some random differences in vocab/tendencies that I have had to wrap my brain around:

"Munchkins" - called a donut hole in Texas; more than likely began through Dunkin' Donuts, which is probably the problem to begin with (I think I saw one Dunkin' in Texas once, and I think it closed a few months later, not sure why).

"A scissor" - instead of people asking if anyone has "any scissors" or a "pair of scissors" people ask "Does anyone have 'a scissor'?" To me, I almost feel like the individual is asking for half of the pair of scissors, maybe to stab something or slice something open (like you would with a razor blade). I still don't get it I guess.

cApITaliZiNg EvErY OtHeR LeTter WhEn TyPiNg - That sentence fragment just took me three times as long to type than a regular sentence. Perhaps it's just me being lazy again. Speaking of typing, there is also the -

Aaadddding multipppple letttttersssss to uuurrr wooordsss - Another one of those things I guess I'm just tooooooo lazy to do. (See, there we go, I did it!) Also, I just ran spell check, and my computer almost blew up.

"Little Beers" - one of my most favorite things I've found up here. They are little shots (of what I can't remember) with cream on top; actually looks just like a tiny beer! So adorable. I need try to request one when I go out back home and see what happens. I'll probably get a Miller Lite in a tiny cup.

Violent fights in football stands - I was appalled at the first one of these I saw and how many of them followed in one game! I had no idea people did this at NFL events, because I have been to many games down south before and never have seen such a thing (at least at pro football games). Ah well. At least if it's an uneventful game, people are creating their own entertainment.

A "pie" - called just a "pizza" in Texas. For the longest time, I could not understand why "pie" was so popular with everyone (thinking "pie" as in pumpkin, cherry, pecan, apple, etc.) I get that it comes from the phrase "pizza pie", but I still can't get used to it.


These are just the ones off the top of my head, but there will be many, many more to come. Sooooo UnTiL mYYYYYYY neXt PoSt...

1 comment:

  1. There is a Dunkin' Donuts here now, at Harwood and Precinct, and it is about a billion times better than Starbucks, and half as expensive. I'm kind of in love with it.

    Asking for "a scissor" is just straight up ass-backwards. It has an "s" at the end, and is considered a pair. It would be like if I asked you for "a pant". Outrageous.

    ReplyDelete